So, back to the post; a while back I mentioned doing a Miley Cyrus T-shirt diy tutorial as I really wanted a t-shirt like the one she wore to Jimmy Kimmel over the summer, but I couldn't find one anywhere that was exactly like it (not even Etsy, and that's saying something). So I decided to make it myself and share it with you all on here so you can give it a try yourself (it's really not that difficult)! I was actually surprised how cheap it was to make considering there are copies of other t-shirts she's worn for over 30 pounds.
Things you will need:
Old red t-shirt (or from Asos here - get an M for a loose fit)
White fabric paint (here)
Stencil (you can download the one I made here or make your own)
Thick card / plastic bag
Pair of scissors
1. Print out stencil, cut it in half so that the letters align to spell out 'CHANNING'. Using a scalpel or scissors cut the letters out to look like this:
2. Align the stencil so that it is in a straight line and tape it to the t-shirt:
3. Put a piece of cardboard (or something that won't soak up the paint) in between the front and back of the t-shirt to protect the back being stained with paint:
4. Using a pencil, draw the letters using the stencil. (you'll need this as a guide for painting when you remove the stencil) :
5. Using a small paintbrush, apply the first coat of paint:
6. Let the paint dry thoroughly. (I left mine to dry overnight) Then remove the stencil:
7. Place a piece of cotton fabric on top of the writing and iron using a medium setting without steam.
8. After you have ironed the fabric, let it cool and apply the second coat of paint. This is where the pencil lined you made earlier will come in handy as you will be painting freehand. You will need to apply enough paint to make a completely opaque white colour while tidying up the edged of the text:
9. Let this dry and iron again in the same way. The finished text should look like this:
10. Lastly, decide how short you want the t-shirt to be and draw a straight line using a pencil across the front (I would suggest to try it on first as it might look shorter when it is on). Cut along the line you drew with a pair of sharp scissors... And look at that, you're done!
Now you have a t-shirt that looks exactly like Miley's and voices your love of Channing Tatum.. what's not to love, right?
(If you have any problems with downloading the PDF, comment below this post with your email and I'll email you the file) :)